Fdip296: Motivational Gadgetry

This is an episode I’ve wanted to present to you for a long time…but my problem is this: my perspective is suspect.

I’m going to talk about four specific gadgets on our run today, physical devices that are said to help motivate you to live a healthier life.

Future episodes of Phedippidations will be dedicated to a discussion of all those smartphone apps that have been created for runners, and I’ve also got an episode that I’m working on to talk in greater detail about the impact of social networking: twitter, facebook, path, and others…on our running motivation; but today I wanted to focus on four gadgets that have been out there for awhile…to talk about their features, differences and how they might be able to motivate you, if they can, to lace up your shoes and maybe even eat better.

I’ll try not to let my opinion seep into the discussion, so it’s only fair to warn you that I own one of these gadgets, the Fit Bit Ultra…and that Fit Bit has been a sponsor of this show, and continues to sponsor me at Fitbit.steverunner.com.

I’m not trying to sell you a Fit Bit today.  If you decide that a Fit Bit is something you’d like to have, I’d of course appreciate it if you’d buy it through Fitbit.steverunner.com…but I wanted to give you fair warning that I might be a little biased here; and that’s not conducive to an impartial presentation of motivational gadgetry.

Also, one of the gadgets is sold by Nike, and you know how much I love that sweatshop factory of slavery…go to teamsweat.org to “Fight the Swoosh”.

In the end, we should think about whether these gadgets really do help to motivate us to run and stay healthy.  I’m not smart enough to promise that they will…I can only report to you their features, and list for you the ways that they might be motivational, and I guess each of us will have to decided for ourselves if such gadgets might be useful.

I’ve seen and played around with all of these gadgets and I have a pretty good idea of what they can do, how they work, and how the manufacturer feels they can motivate you and anyone you’re trying to encourage, to lace up our shoes.

Links:

Join us for the worldwidefestivalofraces.wordpress.com 

“Let Them Feel Your Heartbeat” was by the band “A Silent Film” from Oxford, Endland. Check out all their brilliant music over at asilentfilm.com


In sickness and in health: neilbearse.com

ONLY IF YOU LIKE IT: Phedippidations is supported every month through the very kind and sincerely generous financial support of 32 fellow runners:

William, Vera, Katie, Heather, Ryan, Chaise, Andie, Gordon, 
Scott, Mike, David, Jeff, Colin, Jason, Diane, Al, Cheryl,
Ron, Mark, Martha, Greg, Jim, Maddy, Tim, Bill, 
Kevin, Michael, David, Doug, 
Vance, Brad and Rob.
|
THANK YOU! 
Follow me on: 
Blog: steverunnerblog.com
Twitter: twitter.steverunner.com
Facebook: facebook.steverunner.com
Apple App: iapp.steverunner.com
Android App: android.steverunner.com
Support: support.steverunner.com

I love you Kaiya.  "Tree-si-so" with all my heart.


[Click HERE to download the episode]