Fdip301: Unwrinkling the Runners Soul


SUPPORT.steverunner.com
If you’re new to running, or are new to trying to convince a new runner to begin or continue taking to the road, you’re almost certainly aware of all of the logical, reasonable facts as to why they should lace up their shoes.  The WHY question is something we talk about on Phedippidations ad nauseum.

But here’s the problem: all of the WHY in the world can’t ensure or guarentee that a new runner will stick with it.  This is the same world that’s filled with good intentions. 

You’re not the first runner to quit, and you won’t be the last.  

I know, because I’ve been there...and todays epsiode of Phedippidations is a shout of encouragement...it’s my attempt to say to you that even if you’ve hung up your shoes: you’re not a quitter.  Stop thinking of your running in terms of that. Whatever your goals are..whatever the reason it was that made you first lace up your shoes...they’re still valid reasons; the only thing you really have to do is change those short term goals into long term goals...and recognize the signs of improvement.

You really are, a runner.  

Sometimes we don’t feel that way, sometimes we feel like giving up, crawing into our darkened subterrainan dens and disassociating ourselves from that aweful activity...but if we can think it through clearly, and unwrinkle our damaged souls...we’ll all realize that we have evolved to be runners, and that happiness can be found in accepting that truth and becoming what we were meant to be.

Beginner Advice from a Veteran Runner 

A Skewed Perspective
by Chris Russell


Asking a veteran runner for beginner advice may yield answers incoherent and baffling for that beginner.  What insight do my decades of running, piles of marathons and monstrous heaps of time on my feet give me that is any better than anyone else? It’s like asking a drug addict if drugs are good. 

I haven’t been a true beginning runner since I was 10 years old.  Back then we had to learn how to run early, to get away from the dinosaurs.  Most likely any advice I will give you will cause you to hurt yourself, or at least scare the crap out of you. 



I’ll tell you a story.  Many years ago when I was stepping up to the marathon distance I figured I’d better do some research.  I went out and procured a book by the most famous marathoners of those days – Bill Rodgers – five-time winner of the Boston Marathon in the 70’s and 80’s.  



As a beginner marathoner I was hoping for some revelations, some silver bullets from the great star of the sport that I could apply to my own success.  


This is where I got my first hint that looking for pertinent advice from veterans might be a mistake.  Bill’s advice was, and I paraphrase, ‘when you’re battling for the lead in the Boston Marathon throw in some sub-five minute per mile surges In the Newton hills and that will break the competition’. 
Umm…OK…

I’m sure this is perfectly valid advice, for someone, but ‘breaking the competition’ is way down on my list of things to do in the Newton Hills.  It is substantially below, for example, ‘trying not to lie down and die’, as a matter of fact. 

Any of you beginners, who, if you’re lucky enough to find yourselves some day at mile 20 of the Boston Marathon staring up at Heartbreak Hill, probably won’t be thinking about surges. 

Similarly, what the heck do I, at this point in my running career have to offer the beginning runner?  What can you learn from my 30-something marathons, ultra-marathons, triathlons, mountain bike centuries, trail races, relay races, mountain races, 10k’s, 5k’s and all those happy, serene, training miles with my dog in the woods? 

Let’s not forget the nights and early mornings on treadmills in strange hotels, or doing hill repeats in the freezing rain or track workouts in the snow…all in pursuit of that one more good race - that wonderful, perfect, unicorn of a race. 

I have at times neglected my family and my career. I have injured myself and made myself sick. I have run until I’ve bled and then run some more.  And you want to ask me for advice? 

Ok.  I’ll give you some. 

I’ll tell you that I’m never sorry at the end of a workout or a race or a training campaign.  I never sit back and regret having done the work, having given everything I had in pursuit of a worthy effort.  I’ll tell you that when I’m out there and it gets hard, and it still gets hard, I remind myself of how lucky I am.  I remind myself that there are millions of others out there who would love to be able to do what I can do, to be out here working the trail and breathing the fresh air.  

I remind myself that I am not one of those cold and timid souls who through choice or circumstance can’t muster the energy to take that first step, and then keep moving.  They will never taste the pure joy of watching the sun rise over a table top mountain in Colorado as birds chirp and white tail deer browse in the clover.  

I remind myself that this act this running, is a privilege and a gift.  And when I remember that, no matter how hard it is, I smile.  I am alive! And it makes me smile.

You want some advice?   Break free of the morbid sucking doom of that couch and T.V and join me in a kinetic adventure, a worthy adventure, filled with challenge and joy.  

That’s what I have learned.  To be thankful for the gift of running.  

Do not be concerned with the races you have run or the races you have yet to run.  Do not worry about what you’ve done or what you plan to do, what you can do or what you cannot do – take each run, each step as the gift that it is.  

Do I have advice for beginners?  Yes I do. 

Remember to smile. The runners you encounter will obsess about everything; pace, heart rate, form, mechanics, shoes, stride… Forget about all that – Just remember to smile.  It will change your day and then change your life. 

You are an experiment of one and this running thing is your adventure.  Everyone you encounter will have an opinion.  But, the only one who can tell what is right or wrong for you is you!  Go ahead, listen to everyone, but make your own decisions and run your own path. 

Beware of the true-believers and zealots of our sport.  Anyone who is religiously convinced of something is to be suspected. Try different things, on your adventure, your experiment of one, within reason but decide for yourself. 

But, you are a beginner and have real questions; Important, basic questions.  I know what they are, by the way, because I have been asked them many times.  I’ll answer the top three most-asked beginner questions directly. 

Your number one question is “What kind of shoes should I get?”  The answer is that this is a philosophical and a religious question that has no discrete answer.  You have to look at all the different opinions and types of footwear, or lack of footwear, and try your best to match them to your physical needs and then experiment with different ones until you find what you need and maybe even love.  

Don’t stress about footwear.  Just get out there with your best guess and see how it goes.  Honestly, having 13 different pair of running shoes in your closet is one of the fun things about running. 

Your number two question is “How do I get faster?”  I would first ask you if being faster is really what you want and will it bring more joy into your running.  If you really want to go faster you have to do some combination of running more or running higher quality miles.  

If you’re a beginner and you want to run faster or longer or better or step up to a new race distance, I would highly recommend asking around your running friends for a good coach.  Find a coach that is a good fit for you and your abilities and goals.  A good coach will understand your needs and abilities and will teach you how to run better.  

Your third question is “How do you fit it all in?”  Well my friends it is not really about fitting more in. It is about life balance and lifestyle.  You choose to make running a priority and a habit, because it makes you a better person.  I don’t have any more time in my day than you do but I find a way to work out every day, because it is important to me.  It is part of who I am. Getting things done isn’t a scheduling issue, it’s a prioritization issue, it’s a life balance and lifestyle issue. 

Instead of trying to fit more into your life think of it as doing things that add more to your life, that enrich your life. Like Steve always says; “Life is short, but it should be long enough.” 

My friends that is my beginner advice.  I’ve been running off and on for 40 years.  This weekend I’m going down to Martha’s Vineyard to run 20 miles in a snow storm because I love it.  Don’t ask me for advice or you’ll soon be spending your weekends running 20 miles in a snow storm.  

Unless, of course, you’d like to become the kind of person that can run 20 miles in a snow storm… then come with me because there is adventure afoot and no time to waste.


Chris Russell is the host of the Run Run Live Podcast at RunRunLive.com

He is the author of two brilliantly written books on Running:
The Mid-Packer's Lament and The Mid-Packer's Guide to the Galaxy

Help Chris with his goal of 
running the Boston Marathon for a noble purpose, 
in support of Team Hoyt: 

Links:
Run with us in BAH-STUN: el Cinco Loco: CincoLoco.steverunner.com

LOOK SQUIRREL! : NeilBearse.com at the TheGhostofRadio.com

The song “Good Men” was by A Boy and his Kite off the self titled album A Boy and his Kite which you can buy right now on iTunes or at ABoyandHisKite.com

Intervals between episodes can be found at steverunnerblog.com

In Vino Veritas with my friend and fellow runner: Coach Jeff at TheWineChatPodcast.com

Check out all of Jeff’s great podcasts at CoachJeff.com.au

PHEDIPPIDATIONS SITE OF THE RUN: RunOnPurpose.com

(but ONLY if you can afford it)
SUPPORT.steverunner.com
Phedippidations is supported monthly through the kind and sincerely generous financial support of 61 friends and fellow runners:

William, Vera, Katie, Heather, Ryan, Chaise, Gordon, Scott, Mike, David, Jeff, Colin, Jason, Diane, Cheryl, Ron, Mark, Martha, Greg, Jim, Tim, Bill, Michael, David, Doug, Vance, Brad, Marcelo, Shawn, Roberto, Zaki, Ria, Jan, Margaret, James, Norm, Simon, Albert, Janice, Andrew, Pam, Rob, Chris, Teresa, Glenn, Trey, Steve, John, Angie, Al, Toni, Martin, Lynn, Nancy, Matt, Eric, Claudia, Jim, Kara, Robert and one Anonymous fellow runner!

Follow me on: